Friday, November 5, 2010

Story of the Week Nov 8-12

The story of the week this week is A Very Important Day by Maggie Rugg Herold.



Story Summary: November 25th is the day that 219 people will take the oath of allegiance to the United States and become citizens. The focus of this multicultural narrative is the naturalization ceremony, which brings the 12 families introduced in the previous pages together in celebration of this momentous event.

The target skill for the week is categorize and classify. This story introduces many different characters from many different places. If students categorize and classify the many characters and countries named in the story it will help them understand the plot.

The strategy focus of the week is questioning. It is important to ask yourself questions while reading to make sure you understand the full extent of the story.

The focus skill of the week is compare and contrast. It is important that students understand how to relate and differentiate between multiple stories. Author's tend to make connections with other existing stories both intentionally and unintentionally.

2 comments:

  1. Hello mrs.bridges and ms.cribb,I hope you get my message.I really miss you all,tell everybody I said hi and all I got to say is I really miss you all.Sincerly,mikaya.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Mikaya,

    We really miss you too. I hope that you're doing well at your new school. Everyone asked me to tell you that they miss you too. As your former teacher, I want for you to practice on your capitalization. Tip: Names of people, places or things (proper nouns) or the first word in the beginning of a sentence is capitalized. I love you dearly and do your best always.

    Love,
    Mrs. Bridges

    ReplyDelete